An 18-year-old Saudi woman who wanted to escape an oppressive life slipped away from her family while they were on vacation in Kuwait to board a plane for Thailand, en route to Australia where she hoped to find freedom.
- In Bangkok, a man was waiting, with her name written on a placard. He disappeared with her passport.
- Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun barricaded herself in a hotel room to prevent her forced return to Saudi Arabia, where she feared her family would kill her.
- From behind a mattress she used to block the door, she went on social media to alert the world of her situation. the Twitter hashtag #SaveRahaf was soon trending.
- The UN granted refugee status, and Canada fast-tracked an application for asylum, opening their doors to her.
- Alqunun has drawn worldwide attention to the ongoing struggle of Saudi women.