Usually we think of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) when there are allegations of corruption, bribery, and money laundering in the soccer world. This time FIFA is only tangentially involved.
- Ángel María Villar, the president of the Spanish soccer federation, was arrested for arranging soccer matches that led to business deals for his son
- Villar ran Spanish soccer for twenty-eight years, during the most successful period in the history of the national team
- during that time, allegations of corruption repeatedly surfaced, but no charges ever stuck
The connection to FIFA?
- Villar is also FIFA vice president
- and he served as UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) interim president replacing the former president who was banned for four years for ethics violations
Back to the News Made Simple article here.